Feel overworked? Overwhelmed? Ever experienced what I like to call numbed-out brain syndrome, mindless action, or lack there of action?
Whether you’re a busy mom, entrepreneur, or anyone else with a BIG to-do list, it’s sometimes easy to fall into the trap of NOT taking enough time for yourself, not taking control of your schedule, not creating and following boundaries for yourself, and therefore keeping the work clock tuned to the ON station, til the battery eventually dies.
If you don’t take time for yourself which include finding time to do things you love, exercise, breathe, turn OFF the busy chatter of the mind and the “to-dos”, getting outside, taking care of your health, and STOPPING work by ____ time everyday, eventually, inevitably, brain fog sets in and mindless action begins.
NO matter how well you think you may have “mastered” overworking, you are truly unable to think as clearly, quickly and efficiently as you would with more balance. Overworking leads to losing your spark and joy and can leave you feeling stressed, tired, quick tempered and grumpy, or getting sick, which then spreads to others around you. No matter what your deadline, goal, self-pressure, outside pressure, it CAN wait. The NUMBER ONE, most important task everyday, on your “to-do” list is truly your happiness. If you are happy, your kids, partner, friends, roommate, neighbors, random person you pass on the street, are all affected. Whether you recognize it or not, you create a ripple effect. A life is a long time, make the absolute most of each day. Laugh often.
So what can you do to break the “overworked, mindless action, numbed-out brain cycle”? All of our situations and schedules are unique, so check out the action steps below, and see if any resonate with you.
- Make YOURSELF #1 on Today's "TO DO" List
- Re-evaluate Your Schedule
- Schedule Set “Work Hours” which could include business building, hours with kids, etc. Ex: When “work hours” end, shut the computer down and stick to it!
- Schedule in “Exercise” for _____ days a week at _____ time. Add it in your calendar. (Find something you ENJOY like dance, yoga, hiking, basketball, hire a personal trainer, or find a workout partner. You’ll be WAY more likely to stick to it if you enjoy it! Treat Exercise, like it is JUST as important as everything else, because truly your health and sanity ARE just as or even MORE important than anything else.
- Schedule “Me time”. Maybe you have to wake up a half hour earlier to journal in the morning or meditate (and go to bed a ½ hour earlier). Or maybe you schedule one day a week to walk on the beach or sit in a park and read. Find a way to FIT IN “YOU TIME”! For me, music, dance and laughter make me smile! Find what makes you feel great and DO IT! Start today
- Schedule a Self-care “Appointment” for Yourself Regularly! Massage, reiki, pedicure, a hike with a friend, a life or health coach, or have your own spa day at home with a mineral salt bath, music, and a facemask. Do whatever you need to do to make this possible. Call out sick from work, get a babysitter, or hire a house cleaner.
- Schedule ATLEAST one FUNDAY per week, no exceptions. Mine is “Sunday Fun-day” where I’m only allowed to have fun. No computers, limited cell phone use, and I only do things that I think are fun. If it’s not fun, it’s not allowed on “Sunday Fun-day”. (I get other “not-as-fun” chores like cleaning, etc. all done during the week or on Saturday!)
“Take better care of yourself and life’s magic will return…. Your life will improve. You’ll feel better too. “ – Quote from the book “Journey to the Heart”